We developed this toolkit to help Chinese organizations and institutions to protect the country’s threatened seahorses and to mitigate the desertification of its oceans, in support of President Xi’s call for ‘eco-civilization’. In this toolkit, we identify practical strategies to address various marine-conservation issues impacting seahorses and the ocean.
Our toolkit contains the following sections:
- First, we provide an introduction to seahorses, their status in Chinese waters, and why we care about them.
- Next, we illustrate the critical conservation issues that are threatening both seahorses and shallow seas along China’s coast.
- Finally, we present a suite of solutions to address these conservation issues. We hope that everyone can use these documents to mobilize conservation actions for the threatened seahorse populations in China.
The toolkit and supporting material are living documents (continually updated) so please check back here regularly for new versions, and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any suggestions for improvement. We would love to hear from you.
Outreach Toolkit: Table of Contents
- Why care about Chinese seahorses?
- Major conservation issues facing Chinese seahorses
- Conservation strategies to save Chinese seahorses and protect the ocean
- Map of Global Seahorse Distribution
- 8 Fun Facts about Seahorses
- iSeahorse Citizen Science Factsheet
- iSeahorse Promotional Poster
- iSeahorse Training Videos & Online Courses
- Project Seahorse Video of Male Seahorse Giving Birth in the Wild
Important note: Please do not handle seahorses, and other wildlife, unless under the supervision of trained professionals.
This campaign is made possible through the generous support of the Disney Conservation Fund (DCF).
Banner photo of a thorny seahorse (Hippocampus histrix) by Jean-Claude Vanderwal / Guylian Seahorses of the World